- evil eye
- nouna look that is believed to have the power of inflicting harm
* * *noun: the glance of a person that is believed to be capable of inflicting injury
many people are reputed to … cause harm by staring at someone with an evil eye — Pamela Guliver & P.H.Gulliver
contamination by evil eye is usually unwitting on the part of … the causal agent — O.G.Simmonsalso : a person believed to have such power
what's that evil eye up to — Nelson Algren
* * *—evil-eyed, adj.1. a look thought capable of inflicting injury or bad luck on the person at whom it is directed.2. the power, superstitiously attributed to certain persons, of inflicting injury or bad luck by such a look.
* * *evil eye noun1. A supposed power to cause harm by a look2. A look or glance, superstitiously thought to cause harm• • •Main Entry: ↑evil
* * *evil eye,the power that some people are supposed to have of causing harm or bringing bad luck to others by looking at them.
* * *nounthe evil eye: a look that is thought to be able to harm someone
He gave her the evil eye.
* * *the magic power to harm sb by looking at them
symbols to ward off the evil eye
to give somebody the evil eye(= to look at somebody and harm them by doing so)
Useful english dictionary. 2012.